Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Math Verses: Numbers

One is the Sun that shines so bright,
One is the moon so high;
One is the day and one is the night,
One is the sheltering sky.
One is a head so still and tame,
Upon one body whole with health;
And I is the one and the special name
That only I can call myself!


Two are the eyes with which I see,
Two are the ears that hear;
Joy and sorrow both live in me,
And so do courage and fear.
Darkness and Light must together live,
Night and day are as sister and brother;
And two are the hands that receive and give,
To help myself or serve another.


Around me in the world I see
Beast and plant and stone.
Nature weaves her world as Three,
But I am three in one:
A head well-wrought for wisdom's work,
A heart hallowed by love;
Strong limbs to labor on the earth
As Angels do above.


Summer and Autumn, Winter and Spring,
Through Four seasons passes the year;
Fire and Air, Water and Earth--
Out of these four does our whole world appear.


Five are the fingers upon each hand,
Each foot has its five toes;
Five rays has the star shining high o'er the land,
Five petals has the rose.
And when with limbs outstretched I alight,
Like a five-pointed star
All the world I make bright.

1 comment: